And let me tell you, it tastes as good as it looks! Now it’s your turn to give it a try 🙂
Here is what you’ll need:
- 1 lb. uncooked shrimp (unshelled, deveined, chopped)
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 orange pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 2 Tbs. lime juice
- 3 Tbs. light mayo
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs. cilantro, minced
- 1/2 tsp. hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 3 cups panko
Before you begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
1. Heat 1 Tbs. of oil over medium heat. Add the finely chopped peppers and sauté for about 3 minutes, then add in the garlic and sauté for another minute until fragrant. Smells good, doesn’t it? Transfer the peppers/garlic to a medium-large bowl.
2. To the bowl, add the shrimp, green onions, dijon mustard, mayo, lime juice, hot sauce, egg, salt and pepper. Stir in cilantro and 2 cups of Panko. Combine all of the ingredients until they are mixed well. Go ahead, use your hands and get messy!
3. Pour the remaining 1 cup of Panko into a shallow plate. Divide the mixture into 4 patties and dredge each patty in the Panko and place onto a large plate. Let the patties chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
4. Remove the patties from the fridge. Heat 1 Tbs. of oil over medium heat, add cakes and cook for 4 minutes on each side until slightly browned. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
5. Pop them in the oven for 20 minutes. When they’re done, transfer them to a plate covered with a paper towel.
For the Spicy Mayo sauce:
In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup mayo, juice from 1/2 lime, 1/2 tsp. dijon mustard, and 1/2 tsp. Sriracha (or hot sauce).
For the Cilantro Lime Veggie Rice:
In a medium bowl, whisk together lime juice, 2 Tbs. olive oil, salt and pepper. Add cooked rice (I used Uncle Ben’s boil-in-a-bag brown rice), sautéed peppers and corn. Season more to your taste!
Dish up and enjoy 🙂 You can make your own alterations if you wish. That’s the best thing about a recipe, it’s never set in stone!