- 1 onion, diced
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 peppers, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chicken breasts, cut bite-size
- 1 pound turkey kelbasa (or andouille sausage)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1.5 cups uncooked rice
- 2 Tbs/ cajun seasoning *
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
* I didn’t have cajun seasoning on hand so I concocted my own using this recipe. However, I had to adjust the amounts used to reflect my recipe! I had the measurements written down somewhere but I seem to have misplaced it!
1. Add oil and sauté celery, onion, pepper (the holy trinity) and garlic for 5 minutes.
2. Add chicken and sausage, sauté for 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
3. Add chicken stock, tomatoes, rice, bay leaf and spices — turn to medium-low heat.
4. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid has absorbed.
5. Remove bay leaf, season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Garnish with green onions.
And there you have it, a HUGE helping of Jambalaya for everyone to enjoy!